Monday, August 27, 2007

Week 7, Thing 16; Wikis

I love Wikipedia! I often use it to get general info about something I might be curious about but for which I don't need a bibliographic reference. And it can be very up-to-date since it can be continually edited. I just remember that the info I get there can be wrong!

Annotating the catalogue with book reviews as Amazon does is a good idea; of course this might have to be limited or edited. The Library Success wiki was a good thought but it doesn't seem to be added to much; a wiki is only good if people add to it and update it.

We used a wiki for a team project I was on where the entire staff was asked to comment on documents the team generated. It was a success, partly because staff felt they could comment at any time and could see changes, and partly because it took a while to actually get the documents on our intranet.

No comments: