Thursday, August 30, 2007

Week 9, Thing 23: Summarize Thoughts

Woohoo! I'm finished, or I will be as soon as I finish this blog and submit my log. What a summer! I never thought I'd get this done, let alone on time.
1.) My favorite discoveries were generators, YouTube and blogs. The most useful things for library use might be wikis, online productivity tools, podcasting and audiobooks.
2.) Learning about all of these emergent technologies brought me into the 21st century. I actually was able to tell my son something he didn't know, and he's in the IST field! And my daughter called me "TechnoMom."
3.) I was surprised how I didn't mind blogging, and I spent entirely too much time looking at other people's blogs! And I was basically surprised that I could actually do this whole program. The main things I would take away from this is an understanding and overview of Web 2.0, and an exposure to all the tools out there in cyberspace and where to find them.
4.) The format and concept were good, as it was easy to follow and you could go at your own speed, which for me was very slow! Some of the sites were frustrating but that's probably unavoidable. However, it would have been easier for me if it had been spread out over a longer period of time, or offered at another time of year. Summer is the busiest time of year for circ staff, and this summer was extremely busy. So I had to do most of this at home. For this reason...
5.)...I might do this again if I could do most of it at work or could spread it out over a longer period of time.
6.) Having said that, the future of libraries involves technology and we simply need to be kept up-to-date. We need to learn about all this stuff to remain a viable organization and to keep up with or ahead of our patrons.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Mom- I read all the posts and I think it's really neat you're learning all this new stuff! Congrats

-Mike